Innoversity is a non-profit organization
Based in Toronto, Canada, Innoversity (a non-profit organization founded in 2000 and incorporated in 2001) works to create opportunities for cultural minority, Aboriginal and disabled Canadians to actively engage with, and be reflected within, key societal sectors and institutions. Innoversity’s successful methodology involves showcasing best practices, enabling insight and providing access points between disparate groups of people, which inspires and sustains change by bringing together key leaders and decision-makers and providing useful, actionable information.
The annual Innoversity Creative Summit™ is a marketplace for great ideas and a meeting place for those who work in the media and cultural sector. With practical and creative workshops, panels and showcases, thought-provoking guest speakers, and many opportunities to launch ideas, Innoversity serves to refresh, invigorate and inspire.
Since 2001, Innoversity has played a critical role in building a bridge and opening doors of media organizations to the stories and talents of minority communities. Working closely with Canadian broadcasters, it has:
- Awarded hundreds of thousands of dollars in prizes, scholarships, internships and development contracts to talented individuals from under-represented communities.
- Provided creative professionals with the skills and tools to develop and pitch their ideas for production in TV, film, Radio, the Internet and Magazines
- Helped internationally trained professionals to find work in Canada. Educated hundreds of students and young professionals from under-represented backgrounds.
- Provided a bridge between media executives and creative professionals from under-represented communities.
- Influenced “the insiders”, educating media executives, broadening the perspectives of media professionals, and influencing programming choices.
- Become a model for participatory change – in whole or in part, by many media, and not-for-profit organizations in Europe, the US and Canada.
Innoversity is now setting out to apply its proven methodology to the democratic engagement and civic renewal sector in Canada. The first ever Roadmap: 2030 was held in Toronto on September 21 & 22, 2010.
Innoversity’s work is made possible by the generous support of: